Friday 18 April 2014

Introduction to Photography: Week 3

18.4.14 (Week 3)
Casey Chong Jing Ping (0318756)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 2: Aperture


Lecture
Today, Mr.Vinod had us lead a group discussion by ourselves for half an hour and the topic of our discussion was the Aperture of a camera. He said that we did quite well and that we had some very good questions that are related to the topic. Most of us contributed quite a lot to the discussion and I found out a lot of things that I did not know about the aperture of the camera. After the short group discussion, Mr.Vinod gave a short presentation on the aperture and then he gave us two exercises to do which requires us to go out of the classroom to do. We were required to prove that aperture affects the exposure and the field of depth of a photograph by taking a few photographs and adjusting the aperture of our cameras. After that, we went back to class and Mr.Vinod gave us some feedback on the previous ePortfolio that we did during week 2.

Instructions
1. Update the ePortfolios by Wednesday night so that Mr.Vinod can check it and give feedback on Friday morning during class. 


Instructions for Exercise 2:
Exercise 2.ai:
1. Take a picture of a repetitive subject starting with the right exposure combination of shutter speed and aperture.
2. Start the aperture setting from the lowest number of your camera.
3. Do not change the shutter settings as the aperture is increased.

Exercise 2.aii:
1. Take a picture of a repetitive subject starting with the right exposure combination of shutter speed and aperture.
2. Start the aperture setting from the lowest number of your camera.
3. Compensate the increase of the aperture with the shutter settings as the aperture is increased to maintain the right exposure.


Exercise 2.ai: Aperture affects Exposure


Aperture: f-4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-8.0
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-11
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-16
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-22
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200












Exercise 2.aii: Aperture affects Depth of Field


Aperture: f-4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200



Aperture: f-5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/125
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-8.0
Shutter Speed: 1/60
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-11
Shutter Speed: 1/30
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-16
Shutter Speed: 1/15
ISO: 200


Aperture: f-22
Shutter Speed: 1/8
ISO: 200





Screenshots of the hardcopies : 




The marking criteria for the above exercises are as follows: 
Exercise 2a: Aperture (5%)
Marking Criteria: The student must capture the evidence of the Aperture’s influence in exposure using the various f-stops. The student must also capture the evidence of the Aperture’s influence on depth of field.


Feedback:
Specific feedback:
The feedback that Mr.Vinod gave me was that my exercise seems to be accurate and it fulfills the criteria. He also said that my ePortfolio was well written, and he said that my reflection was quite detailed. Mr.Vinod told me tofeel free to express myself in the ePortfpolio, whether it is in a positive or negative way, in the reflections section, but it has to be in regard of the topic that was discussed in that particular day because it is through my reflection that I learn about the topic delivered by Mr.Vinod.

General feedback: 
The feedback that Mr.Vinod gave to the class is that all our exercises were accurate and fulfills the criteria of the exercise. He told us that the group discussion we had was good, but to fuel our discussion a little more, he asked us to each bring 10 to 15 questions about the next topic to the next class.



Reflection:
Experience:
From this morning's class, I gained some experience in using a DSLR camera manually. The automatic settings in the DSLR are not used while taking photographs during tutorial. Moreover, I also gained experience in using and setting up a tripod. I gained experience in adjusting the tripod's height and position, and I have also gained experience in putting my camera on a tripod the right way. Some of my coursemates helped me to set up the tripod and camera at first but I quickly learned how easy it was to set up a camera on a tripod. Next, I also gained experience in adjusting the aperture settings in the camera and also experienced how to change the shutter speed of the camera to compensate with the aperture settings.

Observations:
I have observed from today's Introduction to Photography class that most of my coursemates who take this class with me are quite comfortable to share their thoughts on the subject or topic (in this case it was the subject "Aperture") and are also happy to question each other about the parts of the subject that they do not understand. On the other hand, I have also observed that some of my other coursemates are quite quiet and shy, so they are quite hesitant to share their thoughts and questions on the topic. I have also observed from class today that  aperture affects the exposure of light in a photograph and it also affects the depth of field in a picture. 

Findings:
I have found out from the experiences and observations that I had that some of my coursemates that are in the same class as me are more than happy to share their thoughts and knowledge to us during group discussions and that we can learn more new things through a group discussion. I learned how to use a camera manually, especially in the aperture and shutter speed settings. I also learned how to set up and adjust a tripod now. Furthermore, I have found out a lot about the aperture settings and some things about the shutter speed of the camera. Some things that I found out about these camera settings is that the aperture is housed in the lens of the camera and that the aperture in a camera are usually called f-stops or f-numbers. I also learned that the aperture of a camera is somehow alike with the iris of a human eye, because the aperture controls the amount of light that enters the camera lens, meaning that it controls the opening of the lens. I have learned that a diaphragm is the blades controlling the opening of the lens. Some fundamental facts that I learned are that the smaller f-number gives a bigger hole or opening in the lens which allows more light to enter the lens, and therefore will create a shallower depth of field to the photograph, and that makes the background in the picture more blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment